[Mailman-Users] Line Wrapping - on/off by list.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 4 22:37:25 CEST 2009

Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>I have a request to change the line-wrapping for Mailman on some
>lists but not others.  Is it possible?
>
>I have looked at the FAQ and list help and found articles
><http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037650.html>
>and
><http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030605&focusedCommentId=6094850#comment-6094850>
>which make it clear that the line-wrapping can be changed via the
>parameter 'raw' when calling the functions findtext() and maketext()
>in /mailman/Mailman/Utils.py.
>
>It seems to me that setting raw='true' works on ALL lists served, not
>a specific list.  It also seems that it is easily possible to change
>line-wrapping on a language-by-language basis.  Is there a way to
>make this work on a list-by-list basis?  I'm not a python expert, but
>since python is quasi-human-readable, it seems to me that I should be
>able to specify which list(s) I want to wrap and which ones not.
>
>Any ideas on how to go about doing that?

Please be more specific about what it is you're asking.

The functions findtext() and maketext() in /mailman/Mailman/Utils.py
only have to do with retrieving and formatting actual template text.
They have nothing to do with the wrapping of message text in posts,
digests or archives.

The FAQ comments you reference above have to do with adding style
information for the <pre> tag in archive articles by editing the
archive.html template. If this is what you're after, then yes, you can
make list specific templates, e.g. lists/LISTNAME/en/article.html.

Note that if you do change the article.html template to add style info
for a list or lists, you need to then rebuild the archive with
bin/arch --wipe for it to be effective for existing posts in the
archive.