[Mailman-Users] List-Archive URL for private archives broken

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 31 00:31:34 CEST 2009

Daniel Novotny wrote:

>the mail header List-Archive for private archives does not work,
>because the URL does not contain the trailing slash:
>
>The private lists are handled by CGI /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/private which can
>not handle the URL without the trailing slash properly
>
>in Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py there is in fact a code, which
>removes the slash from the URL you send in this header:
>what is the purpose of this?

I don't know. It's been there since the beginning of Mailman 2.1, but I
don't know why.

>a quick patch is not to remove the slash, when the archive is private:
>I send the patch in the attachment
>
>or maybe the slash-removing code can be removed entirely, but
>I am not sure what it was originally for...

Neither am I sure what it was for. It doesn't matter much either way
for the public 'pipermail' URLs because the browser knows whether it
is serving a file or an index document and informs the browser, but it
does matter for private URLs.

In fact, I have a bigger problem with users typing archive URLs without
the slash, so I have in Apache

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}  ![.][^/]+$
RewriteRule ^/mailman/(private/.*[^/])$ http://%{HTTP_HOST}/mailman/$1/
 [L,R]

to append a slash to the end of any /mailman/private/* url that doesn't
end with a slash or a file extension.

At present, there are no more 2.1.x releases planned, but I'll stop
removing the slash for 2.2.