[Mailman-Users] Archives and International Character Sets(Mailman2.1.11)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 28 16:23:36 CET 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Mark Sapiro writes:
>
> > add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8', 'ltr')
>
>Shouldn't this probably be default by now?

Yes, it should. But, we have superstitious beliefs that something
unintended will be broken by this. Yet, I continue to suggest it as a
workaround, and I've never recieved a report of a problem, so I will
at least test it as default for Mailman 2.2.

> > One thing to be aware of though is that although the monthly .txt files
> > look like .mbox files, they don't contain complete message headers. In
> > particular, even though the character set may now be utf-8 or koi8-r,
> > there are no content-type or other headers in the file to so
> > indicate.
>
>"Bad Pipermail!  Baad, baaad Pipermail!"  Or am I missing something?
>Shouldn't the .txt files have a simple text/plain;charset=WHATEVER
>MIME Content-Type?

The issue is the .txt files for public archives are served directly by
the web browser, not through a Mailman CGI, so it's entirely up to the
web browser to specify the charset.

We could put a Content-Type: at the head of the file, but in most
cases, this would just be served as part of the text. Still, it would
be useful information for the recipient, so I will look at that too.