[Mailman-Users] admindb just ending with premature end of script, no error message

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 28 01:34:34 CET 2009

Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

>Our mailman/data directory has a bunch of heldmsg- files.  One of the lists has over 5,000 currently. Whenever we try to access "Tend to pending administration requests" it never returns. Apache error log shows just:
>
>[Thu Mar 26 01:17:25 2009] [error] [client 172.18.42.241] Premature end of script headers: admindb, referer: http://XXXXXX/mailman/admin/XXXX/privacy/sender
<snip>

Because Apache kills it before it can build the admindb summary page.

>I have tried to move all the heldmsg- away for this list, but even then it never comes back.

Because that's not where the problem is. The problem is the number of
held messages in the request.pck.

>Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

If you still have the held messages, put them back and remove them with
Mailman's bin/discard per the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/nIA9>.

If you don't have the held messages, just remove the
lists/LISTNAME/request.pck file, but this will also lose any held
(un)subscriptions waiting approval.

>System is RedHat EL4 with 2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3, which isn't the latest but still.

Too bad. If it were Mailman 2.1.6 or later, you could just set the
list's max_days_to_hold and cron/checkdbs would take care of it.