[Mailman-Users] Strange bounce removal issue

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Thu Mar 26 20:00:15 CET 2009

> all, his bounce proccessing is too strict. He has
> bounce_score_threshold <= 1 and bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings = 0
> so the member is removed on the first bounce.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I checked the bounce settings and the
bounce_score_threshold is set to 5 and bounce warnings set to 0.

> There also appears to be some kind of SMTP delivery problem causing
> intermittent bounces. Check your MTA logs and Mailman's smtp-failure
> log to see if you can determine what's happening.

I checked the log file and the 2 e-mail addresses that this issue occurred
with are both non-existing e-mail accounts according to the exim_mainlog
file.

> The puzzle is how does the same address keep getting re-subscribed so
> it can be unsubscribed again.

See that is the mystery.

> One curious thing about the above subscribe log entries: they occur at
> 15 minute intervals, which is normal for BounceRunner bounce queue
> processing, but each one has a different PID. Could it be that
> BounceRunner is dying and restarting each time? Check Mailman's error
> and qrunner logs. Maybe what I say about settings above isn't it at
> all. Maybe there are people at the threshold, and some processing
> glitch which prevents the runner from saving the list after the
> unsubscribe.

I will look at those and see if I can dig up anything.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Brian