[Mailman-Users] How to gzip archives?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 20 02:10:33 CET 2009

Daniel.Li wrote:

>As Grant Taylor said, there is a leverage. And from above explanation, I
>have to figure out how much bandwidth we could save if we have large
>list users.
>Let take 1000 user for example, how can I estimate the bandwidth I
>saved?

First you have to estimate how many users will actually download any
.txt or .txt.gz file. Some users will never visit the archive. Of the
rest, the vast majority of accesses will be for the various HTML table
of contents, index and message files.

As an example, on my largest list (about 400 members) over the last
month there were 5714 web accesses of archive pages for that list. 11
of these (<0.2%) were for .txt files.

In other words, you aren't going to save much. You would be much much
better off using mod_deflate (in apache) to compress all data sent to
clients that request it.