[Mailman-Users] How to gzip archives?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 19 17:21:52 CET 2009

Daniel.Li wrote:

>I have checked http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked
>+Questions,  and I didn't find any clue on gzip the archives.
>Cause Downloadable version is TXT. see
>http://palfocus.oicp.net/pipermail/mailman/
>
>How can I configure this TXT to gzip ro bz2 format?

Are you running Mailman's cron jobs? The suggested crontab contains

# At 3:27am every night, regenerate the gzip'd archive file.  Only
# turn this on if the internal archiver is used and
# GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is false in mm_cfg.py
27 3 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /cygdrive/f/test-mailman/cron/nightly_gzip

Or, with extra overhead, you can set

GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES = Yes

in mm_cfg.py to gzip the .txt file after every post.

Note however that either of these is a waste, at least the way Mailman
does it. Mailman keeps both the .txt and the .txt.gz files so if you
gzip the .txt files, you actually use more space than if you just keep
the .txt files. The only potential savings is bandwidth when a user
retrieves the .txt.gz file, but this is minimal and in some cases, the
web server will expand the file before serving it anyway.