[Mailman-Users] mmarch mbox-splitting weird...

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Mar 16 18:48:57 CET 2009

IEM - network operating center (IOhannes m zmoelnig) writes:

 > i noticed that this "bug" (or whatever it is) might have been available
 > for quite some time: after some searching of my original archives,

Most likely all the "new" messages start with the word "From".

It turns out that the only portable way to parse Unix mailboxes into
messages is to treat an empty line followed by a line starting with
the word "From" as a message separator.  For that reason, most Unix
mailers "stuff" that word whenever encountered in the body by
prefixing it with ">".  If your mail system doesn't do that, you get
the effect you've seen.

I believe that there's an option to mmarch to fix up this problem (or
maybe a separate utlity).