[Mailman-Users] Mailman Config problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 7 03:24:05 CET 2009

Adam McGreggor wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:03:08PM -0800, Thomas Clark wrote:
>> Hey guys my name is Thomas Clark and I am having trouble setting up mailman
>> on my Linux Gentoo server.  I have emerged it and set up the mm_cfg.py file,
>> the problem is that the website that you visit to to join the group is on a
>> different server then were we want the actual mail to go. I was wondering
>> how we could get the Post-fix to communicate with both servers so that the
>> emails are delivered.
>
>I'd use ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse to syphon the web-interfaces from
>URL_HOST to EMAIL_HOST. (Refer to the Apache docs for the details, if
>you need them.)
>
>Is that do-able in your instance?

You need to have a web server that has access to the Mailman
installation either directly or via something like NFS, but as Adam
suggests, this does not have to be the same web server that is visible
to the outside world.

As far as mail from Mailman (outgoing) is concerned, you can specify
any SMTP server via the SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT settings in mm_cfg.py.
For mail to Mailman (incoming) it helps to have an MTA on the Mailman
machine, but this can get Mailman's mail via relay from another MX or
via something like fetchmail.