[Mailman-Users] Nesting lists, and other things

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 7 03:01:44 CET 2009

John Jackson wrote:

>What's the correct way (if any) to nest Mailman lists?

Mailman has a concept of an Umbrella List. This is a list whose members
are other lists. Setting a list to be an Umbrella List actually only
says that password reminders for the lists members
(member at example.com) will be sent to member-owner at example.com (or what
ever suffix you specify as umbrella_member_suffix).

In many cases, Umbrella lists are not very satisfactory. Search the FAQ
at <http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3> for umbrella.

>Is it correct practice to subscribe email addresses from the local
>host's alias file to the same host's Mailman lists?

It shouldn't be a problem in itself.

>Are there any suggested ways to expand on the Description information
>displayed on the http://xxx.yyy.zzz.edu/mailman/listinfo/ page, without
>actually sticking all that information into the list's field for that
>(since that's what's also used to form the list's 'Sender's Proper Name'
>in messages that go out from it?

No. But you can add as much as you want to the "About listname" section
of the list specific listinfo page by putting the information in the
list's "info" attribute.  You can also edit the template for the list
specific page via the admin GUI, but the overview is built from code,
not from a template, so it isn't conveniently changed.

>I tried looking for documemtation for Mailman 2.1 but the references I've
>found so far indicate it's still being worked on.  I imagine those docs
>would be where I'd otherwise go to dig into these questions.

That and the FAQ and the archives of this list. And yes, the list
owner's manual for Mailman 2.1 is still incomplete.