[Mailman-Users] Discard mystery

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 4 15:32:52 CET 2009

Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> we're running Mailman 2.1.9 and can't upgrade because our Python is too
> old. Today we had an issue with a message that was sent by our secretary
> to our staff list. Her message kept being discarded by Mailman and I
> can't find the reason. The list in question has all filter settings
> either turned off or set to "Hold". She sends messages to that list
> regularly and there haven't been problems like that before. She *does*
> use Outlook 11 as MUA and sends her messages as HTML (with
> multipart/alternative), both of which I frown upon, but the MIME filter
> is off and it's never been a problem before. All I can find in the logs
> are these lines:
>
> Mar 04 12:27:07 2009 (20263) Message discarded, msgid:
> <000301c99cbc$262fa090$2c515f86 at ad.unikoeln.de>
> Mar 04 13:43:43 2009 (20263) Message discarded, msgid:
> <000601c99cc6$d94b05c0$2c515f86 at ad.unikoeln.de>
> Mar 04 13:50:59 2009 (20263) Message discarded, msgid:
> <000001c99cc7$dd85d3d0$2c515f86 at ad.unikoeln.de>
> Mar 04 13:56:34 2009 (20263) Message discarded, msgid:
> <000001c99cc7$401fca60$2c515f86 at ad.unikoeln.de>

One thing that could be doing this given what you've said is if
Non-digest options -> scrub_nondigest is Yes, the message is HTML only
(not multipart/alternative) and ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER = 0

Another possibility is header_filter_rules with a Discard action.

> That's the same message, resent over and over to no avail. I had her
> send it to me privately and it arrived OK.
>
> Is there any way to figure out why Mailman discarded it? Its content is
> innocuous, so I'd be willing to redirect it to Mark or whoever might be
> interested in investigating this ...

If the above is not the answer, send me the raw message.