[Mailman-Users] New crontab query: senddigests

Savoy, Jim savoy at uleth.ca
Tue Mar 3 21:20:00 CET 2009

Hi all,

   I started a new thread for this as it no longer applies to cron, but

rather digests.

I just ran the senddigests cron option (again, for the first time ever)

but it didn't seem to do anything. I can't really understand what it
does anyway

(from the description given). All of our lists allow users to select the
digest

option ("digestable=yes"), and the digests are sent out when the 30k
threshold is

reached ("digest_size_threshold=30"). The next option asks if a digest
should be

sent out DAILY when the threshold isn't reached
("digest_send_periodic=yes").

So that is how all of our lists have been set all this time, and the
digest mails

seem to have been working, despite not having run anything in crontab.

The crontab entry for senddigests says:

# Noon, mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshhold
delivery.

0 12 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /mail/mailman/cron/senddigests

Not sure what this does differently, other than maybe force the digests
to go out

at noon, rather than the vague "DAILY" option from above. Can anyone
share any

light? I just ran it and nothing seemed to happen.

Thanks!