[Mailman-Users] Tricky admin_immed_notify problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 3 18:27:49 CET 2009

Savoy, Jim wrote:

>>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>>For the others, you need to at least read the comments in crontab.in
>and understand what the job does before deciding not to run it.
>
>I will probably leave the gateway news stuff out forever. And also the
>password
>reminder thing, as we don't want to bombard our students with more info
>(most
>of our 900+ lists are NOT opt-in, and most are read-only, and we rotate
>thousands
>of different users through these lists each semester, without their
>knowledge).

Fair enough, although the sending of reminders is a list option. You
can set

DEFAULT_SEND_REMINDERS = No

in mm_cfg.py and see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/MIBp> for the
easy way to set send_reminders to No for existing lists, and then you
could set send_reminders to Yes for those few lists where it might be
useful.

>I probably won't run the "disabled users" reminder either, for the same
>reason
>as above.

This has a side effect which may not be important in your environment.
If bounce processing is enabled for a list and
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings is set > 0, when a user's bounce
score reaches the threshold, the users delivery is disabled by bounce
and the first notice is sent. From there the entire process of sending
subsequent notices and removing bouncing members from the list is don
by cron/disabled, so if you have bounce processing is enabled for a
list and bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings is set > 0 and you don't run
cron/disabled, the members who have been disabled by bounce will never
be removed.

>So that just leaves two more things to run via cron: digests and archive
>gzipping.
>I will run the digests thing next and if that goes smoothly, unleash the
>archive gzipping.

Actually, gzipping of the archive is the one I don't run. It doesn't
save any space because the monthly .txt files are still kept as well
as the .txt.gz files, but the .txt.gz file will be served in
preference to the .txt file if it exists, even if it is up to a day
old.

The only thing you save is maybe some bandwidth in serving the file,
but the web server may be gunzipping the file and serving the plain
text anyway, so maybe you save nothing.