[Mailman-Users] how to change the List-ID (RFC2919)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 3 03:23:42 CET 2009

Barry Warsaw writes:
 > On Mar 2, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > >> It's not out of the realm of possibility for MM3.  It seems to me on
 > >> the order of browser ID hacking.
 > >
 > > ?  Isn't it as simple as adding a rfc2919-list-id attribute to the
 > > list object, and defaulting it to what we compute for it today?
 >
 > Yep, and exposing it in the u/i.
 >
 > What I meant was, it kind of feels like masquerading.

I disagree.  The identity of a list is what it is, and shouldn't
change because the server changes.  The issue here arises because in
Mailman 2.1, lists have no sense of their own identity<wink>, and rely
on their association with a server to derive an identity.  So by
providing this feature we're not hiding ID to placate the outside
world, we're *exposing* ID to improve reliability.

While Mark is correct that the RFC says "SHOULD", and so it's optional
if tools like Mailman find the implementation painful, I would say
this is a MUST for MM3, and deserves consideration as a SHOULD for
MM2.2.

It's not obvious that it even needs be exposed in the UI for MM2.
Moving servers is something that requires intervention by somebody
with root access, so command-line configuration is sufficient for MM2,
I think.

AFAIK there are no tools out there that depend on continuity of
List-Id (except user filters, and even those may continue to work by
and large if they match on the mailbox rather than the full ID), so I
wouldn't call it "urgent", even for MM3.