[Mailman-Users] Extract list members from unaccessible domain

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Mar 1 16:36:30 CET 2009

Singbartl, Thomas wrote:

>due to my own  stupidity I lost my domain as it expired and someone else grabbed it immediately.
>I have one particular mailing list, that I want to recover and move it to my new domain. I only need email adresses.
>I already contacted my provider who hosts mailman, but with no backend access for me. They send me the zipped folder of that list, which is pretty useless.

I don't know for sure what they sent you, but if it is the contents of
lists/LISTNAME, it has what you need. lists/LISTNAME/config.pck has
everything Mailman knows about that list except for archives. The
problem is you need a working Mailman installation to use it.

You could just run something like

  strings config.pck

and edit the output of that to get email addresses.

>I read 3.62. How do I extract a list of my list's members (subscribers)? of the FAQ, but this only works if the domain still exists.
>What do I have to tell my provider to send me to get the e-mail adresses (the list still exists and is configured on their server).

You could ask them to send you the output from Mailman's

 bin/list_members -f -p listname