[Mailman-Users] Mailman vs OSX vs launchd

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jun 26 15:33:21 CEST 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 7:49 AM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> The reason this happens is that launchd expects the processes it
> launches to stick around. They must not daemonize. But mailmanctl
> terminates after it has started the runners. I assume that Apple
> modified their own distribution of Mailman so that mailmanctl
> behaves differently. I'd suggest comparing the two.

FWIW in MM3, the two functions of mailmanctl have been split into two
separate scripts. bin/master is the master queue runner watcher script
and it does not daemonize.  bin/mailmanctl is simply the control
interface to master and it does daemonize.  There may not be too much
Mailman3-ish about the new scripts so it could be backported (though
it probably requires Python 2.6 or possibly 2.5).

-Barry