[Mailman-Users] Sender address domain expanded - posts rejected byprivacy options

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 23 20:01:24 CEST 2009

Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>One newly added user is having trouble posting.  I believe Mailman
>may be doing something I didn't expect, and we've been able to
>compensate for it, but I'd like to know if I'm going crazy or not.
>I've set up the poster with a series of email account settings as
>follows:
>
>user at subsidiary.org  is an alias on the subsidiary.org mail server
>that simply points to userfirst.userlast at isid.org.  There is no
>mailbox for this user on the subsidiary.org server.  They have a real
>email account on the mail server "isid.org" which they can access via
>both POP and webmail.
>
>When they send mail from the webmail system, their account settings
>for the 'From:' and 'Reply-To:' addresses are user at subsidiary.org.
>
>If I send a message directly to myself from their account, the From
>and Reply-To addresses are correct.
>
>When the message arrives at Mailman 2.1.9, the From address has
>dramatically changed into user at fullMX.record.expanded.edu  What gives!
>
>To be complete, there really is a server at
>fullMX.record.expanded.edu which handles mail (not for this user),

The user isn't the issue. Does this MX handle mail for the Mailman list?

>but I don't know where/why Mailman should be doing some sort of
>lookup and replace the "@subsidiary.org" with the full MX name.  So,
>we updated the Privacy>Sender Filters (and General>Moderators) had to
>include this address and everything is working.

Why do you think it's Mailman that's rewriting the From:? I assure you
Mailman is not doing it.

>The real question is why did this happen?  Is it expected?  Has it
>been changed in later versions?  If there is a FAQ or something to
>tell me how this works, I'd love to read it.

This has nothing at all to do with Mailman. Some MUA/MTA/MDA in the
delivery path from the user to the mailman server is doing this.