[Mailman-Users] footers and members of the list

Hal Huntley hal at sofdev.sri.com
Tue Jun 23 01:12:38 CEST 2009

> Hal Huntley wrote:
>
> >We have a request from a list administrator asking if he can have the all
> >the members of the list listed in the footer of the message. This list is
> >under Mailman 2.1.9.
> >
> >This isn't a "personalization" listing with just the name of the member
> >subscribing. He wants all the messages going out to have all the list
> >members in the footer.
> >
> >Is there a variable that can handle that? Or must the list maintainer just
> >add the names by hand?  He may be content with just names or email
> >addresses.
>

> No, there is no variable that can handle that, but one could easily put
> a link to the list's roster page in the footer which I think would be
> much better than putting everyone's address in which raises serious
> privacy concerns should such a message be forwarded off list.
>
> --

===
Mark,

Thank you for that information.  I gave that URL idea a try and if I
happened to be logged in as a list administrator for a list, I got a list of
members.  I also tried getting a roster by going to a
".../mailman/roster/<listname>" of a list I am a member of but was not
logged in.  I got an "authentication failed."  error message.  Since one
needs to be a member of the list to see the members, that makes sense.

One could set the URL to point to the ".../listinfo/<listname>" page where
the person could enter their email address and password to get the list
members, but I think the list admininstrator wants something a bit easier to
get the names.

I will share your thoughts with the list administrator about not wanting to
do that anyway due to privacy concerns.  Excellent point.

Hal