[Mailman-Users] Approve all held?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 22 18:25:31 CEST 2009

Алексей Алтухов wrote:
> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Alexei Altuhov wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately I don't have access to the web interface, because of the
>>> Group mismatch error.
>>>

>> We can help you fix that. How did you install Mailman? From our source
>> or from a vendors package?
>>
>> Give us the details, and we'll try to help.
>>

> Mailman has been installed by one of our admins from the repository, as
> usual.

This seems to say you installed someone's package from a package
repository as opposed to installing from our source.

> The thing is, that he has installed Asterix afterwards and as I
> understood from now on all cgi scripts are run from the asterix group
> rather than the mailman one.
>
> Is it possible to change that or divide, which cgi scripts will be
> executed from the mailman group and which ones from the mailman - I
> couldn't figure out by myself and that left me with the command line
> administration.

If you installed from source, the way to fix this is to re-run configure
with the addition of the option "--with-cgi-gid=asterix" and then run
"make install". The alternative is to configure the web server (is this
Asterix?) to run the Mailman CGI wrappers as the group they expect, but
I gather this is not possible in your case.

Most packaged versions of Mailman have a way to tell the CGI wrappers
what group to expect, but how you do that is specific to the package.
You need to ask the packager. I.e., if this is a RedHat or CentOS rpm,
ask on a RedHat list or see other RedHat support resources; if Debian or
Ubuntu, check those support resources, etc.