[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.9 incorrectly holding messages for"Reason: Message has implicit destination"

Schmitt, Gordon A. gordie at stcloudstate.edu
Thu Jun 18 19:18:45 CEST 2009

Thanks for you response.

The text '.."listname at stcloudstate.edu"..' is copied from Mailman's Message Headers textbox of a held message and that is exactly how it appears in that textbox.

The "IMCEAEX-_O=SCSU_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn=" comes from the exchange server. It seems to  show up that why for held moderated messages too(that pass through without problems).

I found out from another user today that it happens to them when they reply of forward a message to listname at stcloudstate.edu, but not if they create a new message. This is the second person that has informed me of this behavior. I plan to visit his office and observe what his Outlook is doing.

I already tried adding the listname at stcloudstate.edu as an acceptable alias (in fact I did it for all of our lists) and thought I had solved the problem but found out the next day that the same users were still having the same problem.

Are there any log files worth looking at, or additional mailman logging that I can setup that might be helpful?

Do you think the HTML entities could be causing the problem? Or more likely the <IMCEAEX-_O=SCSU_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn=listname at stcloudstate.edu>? Do either of these contain characters that would cause Mailman to not match "listname at stcloudstate.edu" even though it is in the string?

Thanks again

Gordon Schmitt
St. Cloud State University

On 6/18/09 11:50 AM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

Schmitt, Gordon A. wrote:

> Below is the header info from a message that is being held that should have passed through. Can anyone think of what is causing this behavior for certain messages? One person mentioned that it  happenes when he did a reply-all to a message and it worked after  creatomg a new message. I do not know if this could be related because I tried doing this and all my messages went through fine. I may have to experiment more with what email client software the messages are being sent from, I mostly use Entourage on a Mac. The majority of campus use Outlook on some version of Windows.

[...]

>To: &quot;Olagunju, Am O.&quot; &lt;alguein at stcloudstate.edu&gt;,
>    &quot;listname at stcloudstate.edu&quot;
>    &lt;IMCEAEX-_O=SCSU_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn=listname at stcloudstate.edu&gt;

Are the HTML entities (&quot;, &lt; and &gt;) actually in the message
header or are they artifacts from some web copy/paste operation? Even
assuming those are just an artifact, the above header is

To: "Olagunju, Am O." <alguein at stcloudstate.edu>,
    "listname at stcloudstate.edu"

<IMCEAEX-_O=SCSU_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn=listname at stcloudstate.edu>

What is all that
"IMCEAEX-_O=SCSU_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn="
prepended to "listname" If that is what the To: header actially looked
like, that's the problem.

I would not be surprised to find that Outlook did something to the
address in the To: header of the reply that could cause this, but I
haven't heard of it.

In another reply, Barry Finkel suggests adding
listname at stcloudstate.edu to acceptable_aliases for the
listname at lserver.stcloudstate.edu list. While this is a good idea, it
will not solve the problem in this case, because as a deprecated,
backwards compatibility feature, Mailman 2.1.x will accept any address
as the list address if the list name matches even if the domains don't.

Gordon Schmitt
System Administrator/Programmer
LRTS/ITS
MC 204