[Mailman-Users] Virtual Domains for Mailing Lists in MailMan

Bryan Harrison bryan at bryanharrison.com
Wed Jun 17 02:05:56 CEST 2009

Mark,

Oooh!  Aaah!  Happy dance!

It works.

Thanks for being so generous with your expertise.  Cleaning up my
fuzzy ideas has been a pleasure.

A minor puzzle, just in case you're interested:

You'll be unsurprised that I found virtual_mailbox_domains and
virtual_alias_domains will fight over any domain common to both.
Since OS X Server is dependent on virtual_mailbox_domains , I did my
usual blind monkey try-this-and-that and discovered it works fine
without virtual_alias_domains.  I won't pretend to understand, but am
wondering if I've created something that will be less than robust.

And one more question, if you don't mind:

In addition to hosting lists for virtual domains, I need to host
listname at the address listname at laughingboot.net on the server gilded-
bat.laughingboot.net.  Is this sufficient?

# mm_dfg.py
# 2009-06-16

# Include Defaults:

from Defaults import *

# Site-specific overrides:

MTA = 'Postfix'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'laughingboot.net'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'gilded-bat.laughingboot.net'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
add_virtualhost('gurgitate.org', 'gurgitate.org')
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = 'gurgitate.org'
DEFAULT_MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE = 10000           # KB

I've read that I need to do this as well…

# /etc/postfix/virtual
# 2009-06-09

laughingboot.net 			IGNORE
@laughingboot.net			@mail.laughingboot.net

…but feel like a cargo cult member worshipping a ball point pen when I
look at it.  Of course gilded-bat.laughingboot.net needs to continue
to handle non-mailing list mail for laughingboot.net as well.

Thanks again,
Bryan