[Mailman-Users] Administrivia

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 13 00:11:30 CEST 2009

Brad Rogers wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:12:17 -0600
>LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
>
>Hello LuKreme,
>
>> The help says" Administrivia tests will check postings to see whether =20
>> it's really meant as an administrative request (like subscribe, =20
>> unsubscribe, etc), and will add it to the the administrative requests =20
>> queue, notifying the administrator of the new request, in the process.
>> but at least on my system, this doesn't seem to happen.
>
>I asked a very similar question a few months back, and got a very
>comprehensive answer from Mark Sapiro.

Which can be found at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-December/064208.html>

>In my case, it was that the people attempting to (un)subscribe were
>sending their requests with a plain text *and* an HTML part.  The
>combination of the two parts added up to far more than the allowed
>number of lines for a message to be treated as administrivia, s was
>passed on to the list processing software, which promptly strips the
>HTML part, leaving just the one word message that arrived at the list.
>
>Is it possible that the same thing is happening on your list?

Note that for the above scenario, you can rearrange the pipeline to put
MimeDel before Hold so that both administrivia and "too big" checks
are done after content filtering. To do this, put

#
# Put MimeDel ahead of Hold so "too big" is based on content filtered
# message.
#
GLOBAL_PIPELINE.remove('MimeDel')
GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(GLOBAL_PIPELINE.index('Hold'), 'MimeDel')

in mm_cfg.py.