[Mailman-Users] Move systems (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 12 20:39:24 CEST 2009

McCord, Mark C Mr CIV USA wrote:

>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>I have mailman with postfix running on a 32-bit RHEL 5 system.  I need to
>move it to a new 64-bit system.  Is there a way to do so without losing the
>data, configurations, etc  I already have?  I have some Linux experience,
>but this my first foray into managing a list server (or any type of mail
>server).

If you are currently running the RedHat rpm package, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB> for where to find things.

What you need to do is install Mailman on the new server. Do not create
any lists other than possibly the 'mailman' site list.

Move the contents of the lists/ and archives/private/ directories
(except maybe for the 'mailman/' and 'mailman.mbox/' directories) from
the old server to the new.

If the domain name isn't changing, that's all you need to do. If the
domain is changing, see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/gIA9>.