[Mailman-Users] Disabling quoting of original messages sent to "request"

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Jun 11 23:52:27 CEST 2009

Steven Bonisteel wrote:
> Spammer sends message to a Mailman list's 'request' address using his real target's e-mail address in 'From:'
>
> Mailman  responds with:
>
> "The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your original message ... "
>
> ... and then faithfully reproduces the spammer's original payload and sends to the target.
>
> How can I disable the quoting of the original messages in responses from the 'request' address?

Are you sure you want to just disable the quoting?  I know the spams are
obnoxious, but at least right now your users can tell that the spammer
is the culprit.  If you take that part out, then they may assume your
installation of mailman is at fault, or that they somehow sent something
out, which could be even more confusing than just receiving the spam
copy is.

That said, if you want more info on controlling this sort of thing, you
might want to do a search for "mailman" and "backscatter" -- there was
some discussion on this a while back that might have useful suggestions
for your particular problem.

  Terri