[Mailman-Users] Archive toast - how to rebuild

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 4 00:27:39 CEST 2009

Chris Barnes wrote:

>The archive directory (the entire thing) of our mailman install is
>toast.  The funny thing is, I really don't care about any of the archive
>files.
>
>But, without the archive directory structure there, Mailman seems to be
>confused.
>
>Is there a way to get Mailman to simply begin a new archive for every
>list?   Preferably in a directory of my choosing  (ie. in
>/home/mailman/archives/ rather than in /var/lib/mailman/archives/)?

The paths to the private and public archives directories are set by the
definitions of PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_FILE_DIR and PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_FILE_DIR.
These are set in Defaults.py with

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_FILE_DIR  = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'archives',
'public')
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_FILE_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'archives',
'private')

but can be overridden in mm_cfg.py with say

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_FILE_DIR  = '/home/mailman/archives/public'
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_FILE_DIR = '/home/mailman/archives/private'

These paths will need to exist with appropriate group and mode -
Mailman's group for all three and mode 2775 for archives and
archives/public and mode 2771 for archives/private.

In addition you need the directories
/home/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/ and
/home/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/ with Mailman's group and
mode 2775 for each list.

I'm not sure if you need the file
/home/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/index.html or not. I don't
think so, and it will be overwritten with the first post anyway.