[Mailman-Users] mailman and group mismatch error

Greg White pcguy11 at live.com
Fri Jul 31 21:56:25 CEST 2009

> Mark wrote:
>
>> Greg wrote:
>>
>>I am running Centos 5.3 with all of the updates. I needed a mail list server so I installed mailman and postfix. I did yum install postfix and yum install mailman. postfix installed and can send email to my live account so it is working. mailman is installed and I can goto my server and subscribe to a list. I get the confirmation email from mailman. However when I try to post I get a group mismatch error.
>>
>>I have done a google search and everyone says to recompile with the proper ./configure. I installed from packages. I would rather not have to recompile. Everything seems to be ok except I can't post.
>>
>># /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman
>>Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
>>as one of the following groups:
>>[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
>>but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
>>Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
>>[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
>>or re-run configure providing the command line option:
>>'--with-mail-gid=root'.
>

> This only tells us that you ran the wrapper as root. It doesn't say how
> Postfix ran it.
>
>># /usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
>>No problems found
>>
>>So what did I do wrong? And why isn't check_perms detecting the problem. >From what I read on the internet this is a very common problem.
>

> Group mismatch errors have little to do with permissions and
> check_perms can't really check them. See the FAQ at
> .
>
> The answer in your case is that Mailman's aliases need to be in an
> aliases.db file whose owner's primary group is one of your above list
> - normally 'mailman'. Note that this doesn't mean the file's group; it
> means the primary group of the file's owner. This is a Postfix thing.
>
> If you have Mailman/Postfix integration properly configured, this
> should be automatic because the aliases will be in Mailman's
> data/aliases* files and data/aliases.db will be owned by the Mailman
> user.
>
> Note that if this isn't all properly set up from the rpms, that is a
> RedHat/CentOS packaging issue over which we have no control.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro  The highway is for gamblers,
> San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

# ls -lhZ /etc/aliases*
-rw-r--r--  root root system_u:object_r:etc_aliases_t  /etc/aliases
-rw-r--r--  root root system_u:object_r:etc_aliases_t  /etc/aliases.db

# ls -lhZ /etc/mailman/aliases*
-rw-rw----  root    mailman user_u:object_r:mailman_data_t   /etc/mailman/aliases
-rw-rw-r--  mailman mailman user_u:object_r:mailman_data_t   /etc/mailman/aliases.db

# cat /etc/mailman/aliases
# This file is generated by Mailman, and is kept in sync with the
# binary hash file aliases.db.  YOU SHOULD NOT MANUALLY EDIT THIS FILE
# unless you know what you're doing, and can keep the two files properly
# in sync.  If you screw it up, you're on your own.

# The ultimate loop stopper address
mailman-loop: /var/lib/mailman/data/owner-bounces.mbox

# STANZA START: mailman
# CREATED: Thu Jul 23 14:23:19 2009
mailman:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe:   "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"
# STANZA END: mailman

# STANZA START: test
# CREATED: Thu Jul 23 16:21:13 2009
test:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
test-admin:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin test"
test-bounces:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test"
test-confirm:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test"
test-join:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join test"
test-leave:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave test"
test-owner:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
test-request:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request test"
test-subscribe:   "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test"
test-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe test"
# STANZA END: test

# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/mailman/aliases, hash:/etc/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
home_mailbox = Maildir/
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = localhost
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
mydomain = xyz.com
myhostname = list.xyz.com
mynetworks = 10.100.159.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
recipient_delimiter = +
relay_domains =
relayhost =
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

So do I have everything configured right??
Do I have to recompile mailman?  If so it looks like I have to recompile starting with ./configure --with-mail-gid=root

Thanks,