[Mailman-Users] mailman and group mismatch error

Greg White pcguy11 at live.com
Thu Jul 30 00:41:04 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am running Centos 5.3 with all of the updates.  I needed a mail list server so I installed mailman and postfix.  I did yum install postfix and yum install mailman.  postfix installed and can send email to my live account so it is working.  mailman is installed and I can goto my server and subscribe to a list.  I get the confirmation email from mailman.  However when I try to post I get a group mismatch error.

I have done a google search and everyone says to recompile with the proper ./configure.  I installed from packages.  I would rather not have to recompile.  Everything seems to be ok except I can't post.

# /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman
Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
as one of the following groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
or re-run configure providing the command line option:
'--with-mail-gid=root'.
# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
No problems found

So what did I do wrong?  And why isn't check_perms detecting the problem.  >From what I read on the internet this is a very common problem.

Thanks,
Greg