[Mailman-Users] Trivial prob in migrating

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 28 16:07:24 CEST 2009

viz at lug.zhaw.ch wrote:

>This is roughly what I did:
>- copied old:/usr/local/mailman/{lists|archives|data} to
>new:/var/lib/mailman/
>
>- chown -R list /var/lib/mailman/{lists|archives|data}

You must chgrp to Mailman's group

>- /etc/init.d/mailman start
>and I get "IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck"
>

>checking the privileges
>-rw-rw---- 1 root klog    3660 2009-07-27 17:18 config.pck
>
>its odd pending.pck and request.pck are owned by list:klog
>and have timestamps 2008-10-21. Deleting config.pck didn't
>help, it was recreated with the identical permissions.
>
>What is missing?

Changing the group may be enough, but if you've lost the SETGID bit,
you need to set that too. Mailman's bin/check_perms should help.

>Second question: How do I create all the special strings
>needed by postfix?

Make sure you have

MTA = 'Postfix'

in mm_cfg.py and run Mailman's bin/genaliases. See
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html>.