[Mailman-Users] Reply to

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Jul 24 08:19:59 CEST 2009

on 7/23/09 11:10 AM, Wayne said:

> I don't understand the whole reply to stuff. I don't want to allow users
> to hit reply and it to reply to the group. I have it set to strip the
> header and the reply to is set to poster.

For the most part, if you leave the header alone, then you will get the
behaviour you want.  The only time this won't happen is when the sender
of the message provides a different Reply-to: header on their own
message.  You could strip those and set reply-to-poster, but that
shouldn't be necessary in 99.99999% of the cases.

The only reason the header exists is for those cases where someone
running a list *does* want to force everyone to always reply to the
whole list and not privately reply back to someone.  If you don't try to
force that behaviour, then you can mostly just not worry about this header.