[Mailman-Users] permission denied error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 24 06:12:49 CEST 2009

LuKreme wrote:

>On 23-Jul-2009, at 16:58, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No one has any solutions?
>>
>> See my reply at
>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2009-July/066577.html>
>> and provide the information I ask for, and we might be able to help.
>
>Sorry, I never saw that post, it's not in my mail queue.

My 23-Jul-2009, at 16:58 (-0600) post (and this one too) was sent to
the list only. The post archived at the above link was addressed to
you and to the list. The copy to you was accepted by your MX
(mail.covisp.net). Perhaps you are filtering mail from me?

>I am getting
>these error as system mailing warnings from cron:
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 284, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 264, in main
>    process_lists(lock)
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 199, in process_lists
>    mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 130, in __init__
>    self.Load()
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 629, in Load
>    dict, e = self.__load(file)
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 595, in __load
>    fp = open(dbfile)
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/mailman/lists/
>mailman/config.pck'
>
>I get these emails ever 5 minutes.
>
>Mail sent to the mailing list still goes out.

Do Mailman's other cron jobs run without error?

Could this be a SELinux or other security manager issue?

What are the permissions on the /usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/
directory?

>For now I've simply commented out the crontab line for the mailman user:
>
>#0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/bin/python2.4 -
>S /usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news
>
>(which should be */5 * * * * anyway, no?)

I don't think all cron daemons support the /n notation which is why we
use the V7 standard notation.

>but I don't know that that's a solution?

It's a satisfactory avoidance if you don't actually have any lists
gating from usenet, and it's a reasonable 'efficiency' as well in that
circumstance, but there is some underlying issue that should be
addressed.