[Mailman-Users] digests/Python/2.1.12 upgrade

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 21 03:08:57 CEST 2009

Christopher Adams wrote:

>>From crontab.in :

What about from

crontab -u mailman -l

although it's popbably the same.

>#
># Noon, mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshhold delivery.
>0 12 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests
>#
>
>This invokes version 2.5.
>
>>From senddigests:
>
>#! /usr/local/bin/python
>
>This invokes version 2.5

Take a look at /usr/local/lib/python2.5/email/charset.py. At around
line 196, you should see

    def __init__(self, input_charset=DEFAULT_CHARSET):

followed by 4 comment lines and

        try:
            if isinstance(input_charset, unicode):
                input_charset.encode('ascii')
            else:
                input_charset = unicode(input_charset, 'ascii')
        except UnicodeError:
            raise errors.CharsetError(input_charset)
        input_charset = input_charset.lower()

This may be a problem, although others who've had this problem with a
different email package have switched to this one and it solved the
problem. Try changing

            else:
                input_charset = unicode(input_charset, 'ascii')

            else:
                unicode(input_charset, 'ascii')

and then restart Mailman.

If that fixes the problem for you, I don't know why others don't have
this problem with email 4.0.1, but at least you will be OK.