[Mailman-Users] Message Delays

Stefan Förster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Mon Jul 20 09:12:25 CEST 2009

* Stevenmark1975 at aol.com wrote:
> Hi i run a mailman list and am having complaints from members because , for
>  example an email is sent to the list at 0800 hrs and they are not
> receiving it  until 2300hrs , the members all have different isp mailboxes from a
> variety of  isp's , the message is hitting the server from the sender but is
> very erratic at  getting to peoples inboxes , any ideas as to why , as the
> company i buy the list  through say there are no issues with the list when
> quite clearly there are

Without the mailserver's logs, this is hard to debug. The next time a
message is delivered with a large delay, find out the message-id of
that post to the list, and try asking the company running your list
for you for the following details:

1. The time the message with the given message id and the recipient
who had a complaint entered the queue of that company's mail server.
2. The time of all delivery attempts to the receivers mail server. If
there is more than one attempt, they should provide you with the
errors which prevented a successful delivery.

Since not all of your list's subscribers have problems receiving the
mail in a timely manner I don't think this is a mailman problem at
all.

Cheers
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9
Der Preis der Freiheit ist ewige Wachsamkeit!