[Mailman-Users] multiple lists ..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 17 18:38:18 CEST 2009

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

>* Khalil Abbas <khillo100 at hotmail.com>:
>
>> what's the best solution for this dilemma? is there a way to
>> automatically show a message on the top of each email with the
>> cancellation email for each list that distributed that certain email?
>> like : to cancel please send an email to: list10-leave at domain.com ?
>
>Mailman puts those into the footer by default

Not quite. The default footer for this list for example is only

added.

Note that unless one turns off include_rfc2369_headers, there is a
an MUA to provide an "unsubscribe" function/button, although many if
not most MUAs do not provide such a function and do not show the
header either.[1]

Also note that the command line command

bin/remove_members --fromall user at example.com

wull remove user at example.com from all lists on the server.

[1] Ironically, hotmail's web client does provide a "You're subscribed
to this mailing list. Unsubscribe" link when displaying a list
message, but the feature is broken because the header looks like

Which is a perfectly valid, RFC 2369 compliant header, but Windows live
mail interprets it as a single URL and tries to go to

I have reported this to Microsoft, but I haven't had the patience to
continue beating on it until someone actually understands the problem.