[Mailman-Users] mailman migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 15 23:30:39 CEST 2009

Marek Kozlowski wrote:

>> :-)
>> I've inherited a Fedora 8 server with a very long (~10 years) history of
>> updates, upgrades, small changes etc. I've decided to install a new
>> Linux server (Gentoo), configure it and (selectively) migrate only
>> necessary data.
>> There is a mailman instance installed on the "old" server and there are
>> several (less than 10) mailing lists. I'd like to emerge (install) a
>> fresh port of mailman on the "new" server and "copy" those lists. Can I
>> ask for any help:
>> - which files should I examine?
>> - is copying of those files enough?
>> - ..?

Some posts referenced in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9> may
help.

You need to move Mailman's lists/ and archives/private/ directories
from the old installation to the new. If domain names are changing,
you will also need to run fix_url (run bin/fix_url.py for help), and
you will probably want to rebuild the archives (see "bin/cleanarch
--help" and "bin/arch --help")

>Sorry, I missed the most important part:
>- both servers use postfix as MTA,
>- the old server used uw-imap (mbox files for e-mail) while the new one
>uses courier-imap (.maildir directories),
>- I don't use mysql for mail nor web.

If delivery to Mailman is via aliases, you will need to run
bin/genaliases after moving the lists. The imap server is not involved
in any case. Either Postfix uses Mailman aliases to pipe mail directly
to Mailman or all Mailman mail for all lists is delivered to a single
maildir and processed by Mailman's Mailman/Queue/MaildirRunner.py
module which see for more information.