[Mailman-Users] Mailman Installation with Multiple IP Addresses

Amardeo Sarma sarma at gwup.org
Sun Jul 12 18:13:00 CEST 2009

For many years I have been running Mailman with several mailman lists
using multiple domains (virtual hosts) on a single server without major
issues (Thanks btw for this great and reliable software - hard to
imagine living without it).

Now I have a problem with a server with multiple IP addresses (FreeBSD
6.3, Mailman 2.1.12, Apache 2.2, Sendmail). When virtual hosts are
assigned to *different* IP Addresses, the Mailman Web Interface does not
work for any but the virtual hosts assigned to the main IP Address,
though mail delivery is not a problem.

With https://lists.mydomain.org/mailman/admin/listname and
lists.mydomain.org assigned to a non-main IP address I get an error with:

"Premature end of script headers: admin"

I temporarily reassigned lists.mydomain.org to the main IP address on
the server and things work fine, but if this can be configured for
Mailman I would like to change it back. I tried adding the same lines:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>
Alias   /pipermail/     /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
    AddDefaultCharset Off
</Directory>

inside the specific virtual host in httpd.conf, of course restarted
apache, but that did not work either.

The temporary solution works fine for the moment, but does anyone have a
suggestion how this can be fixed? Are there Apache configuration
examples for this (possibly) exotic case?

--
Amardeo Sarma
sarma at gwup.org