[Mailman-Users] Customizing Special Addresses -request, -bounce, etc.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 6 19:09:42 CEST 2009

Lawrence Chan wrote:
> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> Is this cPanel? If so, see <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9>.
>>

> This is not cPanel.  I'd like to have certain functionality (mainly 1-3)
> in the FAQ.  For 1 in the FAQ, I use virtual aliases.  For 2 and 3, I
> can just follow the listname_domain.tld convention.

What FAQ? The Mailman FAQs I know (<http://www.list.org/faq.html> and
<http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3%22>) don't have a '1-3' relating to virtual
domain hosting.

>> In any case, I don't understand what you mean by "I want Mailman to
>> respond with ...". Please clarify.
>>

> When Mailman replies, for example to listname-request at domain.tld and
> subject help, it uses listname_domain.tld-bounces at domain.tld as From.
> It uses listname_domain.tld-[request, owner, etc.] in the links in the
> body.  How can I make Mailman reply without the _domain.tld in its
> headers and links in the reply messages?

It appears that you are adopting a convention, perhaps enforced by list
creation, that list names are of the form LISTNAME_HOSTNAME and are using
aliases to direct mail addressed to LISTNAME at HOSTNAME and
LISTNAME-etc at HOSTNAME to the proper list.

The short answer to your question is to find the places in the code where
these addresses are generated and change them to strip the _HOSTNAME part.
This may or may not be as simple as modifying just the getListAddress()
method in Mailman/MailList.py.