[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Re: Linux Preferred?

Tim Ferguson Tlf1 at ccs135.com
Thu Jan 29 18:17:43 CET 2009

I'm sorry, Hank, didn't mean to send it directly to you.  And thank you for your help.

Tim

The esteemed Tim Ferguson has said:

> Hmmm, a couple of questions.  Has anyone tried Mailman with SuSE Linux?  =
> We are a Novell shop here having added a couple of Windows Servers only in =
> the last couple of years.  And I run DansGuardian on an IPCop box to =
> filter our Internet access as required.  Used an E-Smith box first.  =20
>
> I downloaded the documentation from your web site, but as you say, with =
> the Linux versions I've been trying it on, the configuration steps do not =
> always work as I'd hoped, especially on SME, a version that a neighboring =
> school district tech person got up and running and now delivers e-mails =
> and text messages to parents that sign-up for the service.  This is my =
> goal.  We prefer to let the parents sign-up on their own rather than =
> making phone calls to everyone as several of the popular alerting packages =
> do.  Also, this leaves the burden on them to keep their information =
> updated.  And, but having a different list for each school, we can =
> customize some of those messages since each school/age level has it's own =
> needs.=20
>
> Thanks,=20
>
> Tim=20

> wrote:

Hello Tim:

You may not be aware of it, but your response was mailed to me, and
not to the mailman-user's list.

The questions you are asking are questions I shouldn't try to answer.
My primary platforms are Sun Solaris, and I run a locally-modified
version of Mailman.  Setting the distro Mailman up on a Solaris system is
fairly easy, but the intentions of the developers in the installation
manual have to be interpreted for Solaris.

I'm not at all familiar with details of any Linux implementation, so
answers to your questions would have to come from the mail list.

Hank