[Mailman-Users] mailman with postfix and virtual mailbox domains

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 28 16:41:56 CET 2009

Gerd Moritz wrote:

>I have a postfix server running which can handle mail for 3 domains
>via "virtual mailbox domains".
>Now I want to use mailman to offer mailinglists for those 3 domains.
>I read the documentation and found
>http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html
>but this seems only be relevant for "virtual alias domains" which is
>not what I am using.
>
>How is mailman/posfix supposed to be configured for usage with
>"virtual mailbox domains" ?

As you have discovered, Mailman/Postfix integration with Postfix
virtual domains uses virtual alias domains, not virtual mailbox
domains. If you want/need to use virtual mailbox domains, I'm afraid
at this point you're on your own.

Mailman supports two delivery methods. The normal method is delivery to
a command via a pipe using aliases or some programmatic transport in
some MTAs which support it. This is not delivery to a mailbox, so
virtual mailbox domains will not support this.

The other method is delivery to a MAILDIR. See the comments both before
and after the line "USE_MAILDIR = No" in Defaults.py. It is possible
to use MAILDIR delivery for addresses in virtual mailbox maps, so you
can probably set this up, but you would have to modify
Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py to generate the proper maps or maintain them
manually.