[Mailman-Users] Linux Preferred?

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Wed Jan 28 15:14:00 CET 2009

"Tim Ferguson" <Tlf1 at ccs135.com> wrote:

>Is there a preferred flavor of Linux that Mailman seems to work and
>install the best with?  I'm trying Ubuntu, but the apt-get feature is
>getting hung up on trying to find the repositories and can't, so, until
>I get that fixed I just thought I'd ask.
>
>Thanks for any ideas and suggestions,

Note that the Debian/Ubuntu packaging of Mailman has some patches
that are undocumented.  And there is one patch that removes a
library that is sometimes needed.  That is why I used the SourceForge
source and built my own Mailman 2.1.11 package that I am running in
production on Ubuntu.   There are lots of postings in the list
archives where people are running "foreign" versions of Mailman, and
limited help from the Mailman developers on this list is available.
In the case of Debian/Ubuntu, I could not determine what each of the
patches did, so I do not know how much the changes therein would
affect the support available on this list.  I did look at three
security patches for Mailman, and two of the three were exactly what
was in the SourceForge Mailman; one differed.  And I did not look
at the code in detail to see if the one that differed had the same
basic correction that the SourceForge patch had.

It took me a while to figure out how to build a package, but now that
I know how to do it, I can give instructions to anyone who wants them.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov