[Mailman-Users] Linux Preferred?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jan 28 08:13:15 CET 2009

on 1/27/09 9:07 AM, Tim Ferguson said:

> Is there a preferred flavor of Linux that Mailman seems to work and
> install the best with?  I'm trying Ubuntu, but the apt-get feature is
> getting hung up on trying to find the repositories and can't, so,
> until I get that fixed I just thought I'd ask.

If you're installing from our source, then most any recent version of
Linux should work fine.  If you're installing from someone else's binary
packages, then you are dependent on the person doing the packaging --
they have to keep up with our releases, back-port patches, etc....

On python.org, where we host all the official mailman-* mailing lists,
Debian works just fine.  But we run the version from our own source, and
not the binary packaged version.

On another site I help administer, FreeBSD works just fine.  But again,
I run the version from our source and not the "ports" version.

Last I heard, the folks at lists.apple.com were running one of the
largest Mailman mailing list servers in the world, and they were running
just fine with our sources on Mac OS X Server -- not the version that
Apple took and modified, and then turned around to ship to their customers.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out