[Mailman-Users] config.pck get changed back from correct values...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 27 17:10:48 CET 2009

john espiro wrote:

>On the web interface, every day, the ownership for config.ock gets changed:
>
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/MYLIST/config.pck gets set to mailman:mailman, while all other files and fodlers remain webadmin:mailman.

When ever the list is updated, the process creates a new, temporary
file, and only after successfully updating that file does it rename it
to config.pck. Thus, every time a list is updated in any way, the
owner of config.pck becomes the owner of the process that did the
update, in this case, the qrunners.

>The result is that if I try to use the web interface, I get:
>
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.11
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
>Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
>
>Once I set the *.pck file ownership to webadmin:mailman, everything works.

There is something wrong in your installation. Either the CGI wrappers
(the files in Mailman's cgi-bin directory) are not group mailman and
SETGID, or your web server/OS is not honoring the SETGID bit and
setting the effective group of the CGI process to mailman.

In short, the owner of config.pck shouldn't matter because access is
supposed to be by group.