[Mailman-Users] mailman screens by subscriber list before checking sender filter

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 27 03:17:30 CET 2009

Rich Winkel wrote:

>Sorry, it's being held by the sublist.  It's the only sublist of
>which the poster is a member.  She's flagged for moderation on the
>sublist, but the umbrella list bounces address is listed in the
>approved sender filter for the sublist.  All the other sublists
>distributed the email automatically.

OK. Now I understand your Subject:, and yes that's the way Mailman
works. It first determines if the post is from a member, and if so, if
the member is moderated. It does the *_these_nonmember filters and
generic_nonmember_action only after determining that the post is not
from a member.

Also, in this case, even if the UMBRELLA-bounces address were a member,
the post would still be held, at least with the Defaults.py setting of
SENDER_HEADERS, because it would check the From: header first and stop
when the from was found to be a member.

The real question is why is this poster moderated on the sub-list? If
the intent is that her posts to the umbrella be distributed to all
sub-lists without being held, why hold her post if she posts only to
one sub-list?