[Mailman-Users] Changing the email address of a list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 23 03:49:09 CET 2009

Scott Race

>My virtual-mailman file has entries like this:
>

>mylistname_which_is_really_long at mydomain.net
>mylistname_which_is_really_long

<snip>

>I want to change "mylistname_which_is_really_long" to "mylistname".
>

>Will simply changing the listname in the virtual mailman file take care
>of this? I'm thinking there's another place I'll need to change this as
>well, but not quite sure.

No. It's not that simple. If you just changed

mylistname_which_is_really_long at mydomain.net
mylistname_which_is_really_long

mylistname at mydomain.net mylistname_which_is_really_long

and similarly for the others in virtual-mailman and running postalias
to update virtual-mailman.db, you could then send mail to
mylistname at mydomain.net, etc. and it would be properly delivered to
Mailman, but the list would still think its name was
mylistname_which_is_really_long which would cause problems and
confusion.

The thing to do is change the list name according to the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/mYA9> beginning at the sentence "The following
procedure (requiring full server access) will preserve everything."