[Mailman-Users] initial hostname

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 22 17:49:12 CET 2009

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a box named "phenom" on which I created a mailing list, beeeing
>root, via "newlist".
>
>A while after that, I changed the hostname of the box to the current
>one:"lab.vectoris.fr" and changed the malman config too.
>
>But now, when I look into the MTA/SMTP logs (Exim of my ISP, as
>smarthost), I see that an email is sent as root at phenom and is
>unrouteable by the MTA (obvious, he doesnt know about "phenom").
>
>What should I hack into Mailman to get rid of that "@phenom" sending?

You can easily change the host name of a list via the web admin General
Options page

    Host name this list prefers for email.
    (Details for host_name)

Or, you can fix both host_name and the web_page_url to match your
current configuration with bin/fix_url.py. bin/fix_url.py is a
'withlist' script - run it stand-alone for instructions.

However, I don't understand why mail from Mailman would be sent by
root at phenom in any case. All mailman mail is sent with envelope from
LISTNAME-bounces at ... for some LISTNAME.