[Mailman-Users] Issue with text to Mailman list serve

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 15 20:50:39 CET 2009

Darren G Pifer wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> What Mailman version is this?
>>

>2.1.9

OK.

>> What are the list's content filtering settings?
>>
>Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the
>settings below?  No

So content filtering is off and not involved.
<snip>

>The Content Filtering settings are the same across all 3 lists the admin
>owns but only this one is it working
>incorrectly.

OK.
>> What is the raw message with all headers?
>>    In Tbird, select the message and then File->Save As->File or just
>> ctrl-S, and give it a name with a .txt extension. Then you can attach
>> that .txt file to a list post.
>>

>I see that my attachments did not come across so I have attached the raw
>message
>removing only some private information.  The owner forwarded to me a copy of
>the email sent to the list.

Thanks, but the forwarded message doesn't help much. It appears to be a
forward from MS Outlook of the received message. What I would need to
see is the raw message. I don't know how to get that from Outlook. In
Outlook Express, you can right-click the message in the message list
pane and then select Properties->Details->Message Source and then
select and copy the entire message source and paste it into notepad,
but I have no idea if this would work in Outlook.

What I can see is the part that says "Womens_Center" looks like
msg_header so that both msg_header and msg_footer are added and the
result should look like

multipart/mixed
    text/plain
    multipart/alternative
        text/plain
        text/html
    text/plain

It is possible that this is in fact the structure of the message and
Outlook thinks that the first text/plain part is the message body and
everything else is an attachment, in which case, it's realy an Outlook
issue, but that wouldn't explain why the other lists are OK unless
they don't have msg_header.

I do have another idea. You said the difference here is the message is
held for moderation and approved. Does this Mailman instance have some
kind of patch that enables editing held messages before approval? If
so, I think that's where the problem lies.