[Mailman-Users] Listserv error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 8 18:07:28 CET 2009

<ljanofsk at umd.edu> wrote:

>My fraternity is having a problem accessing our listserv membership online. I am the administrator for the group and when I go to the website to add/drop e-mail addresses, it tells me it doesn't exist. This is the first time this issue has come up and if you have any suggestions to fix this,I would greatly appreciate your help.
>
>Here is the URL that I go to:
>http://mail.zetapsiumd.com/mailman/admin/brothers_zetapsiumd.com

First, you are off on the wrong foot by referring to a Mailman list as
a "listserv".

I know that use of Listserv(r) as a generic term to refer to an email
list or email list management software is ubiquitious, and I'm just
pissing in the wind to fight it, but Listserv(r) is a registered
trademark[1] owned by the developer of a particular email list
management product, and it shouldn't be used generically.

Second, The Mailman installation at mail.zetapsiumd.com appears to be
cPanel. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9>.

Finally, it appears that your list has been deleted. There's no way we
can help you with that. You will have to talk to your hosting service.

[1] <http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/trademark.asp>