[Mailman-Users] Warnings from senddigests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 3 19:19:17 CET 2009

Jesper Dybdal wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:51:10 -0800, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>>Mailman 2.1.11 is not compatible with Python 2.6. Most of the errors
>>are deprecation warnings similar to those above and also involving
>>hashlib. You'll probably find lots more in Mailman's error log.
>
>Now I'm confused.  Why do you think I am using Python 2.6?
>
>I am actually using Python 2.4.5 (installed using the Slackware 11.0
>Python package):
>
>>jesper at nuser:~$ python -V
>>Python 2.4.5
>
>And yes, there are quite a few of those warnings in the error log.
>Mailman seems to work in general, but I haven't tried digests - which
>probably do not work, given the error message.

I'm not sure about the digests problem. You could try 'bin/withlist -i'
and then at the >>> prompt type

unicode('abcde', 'iso-8859-15')

if this prints

u'abcde'

Mailman is able to access the iso-8859-15 codecs and there should be no
problem with iso-8859-15. If it prints

LookupError: unknown encoding: iso-8859-15

There is an issue, and you could try the same test with 'python'
instead of 'bin/withlist -i' to see if it's Mailman specific or a
Python problem.

(In either case, type control-D to the next >>> prompt to exit.)

>But everything I've read seems to indicate that Python 2.4.5 should be
>fine for Mailman.

Yes. That's correct.

>I've installed Mailman straight from the 2.1.11 distribution, except for
>a Postfix VERP patch and some file rights changes to make it run with
>suexec.
>
>It runs on a Slackware 11.0 Linux with some packages upgraded from
>source or from Slackware upgrades.  The kernel is Linux 2.6.26.2.

Sorry. I jumped to an unwarranted assumption. I thought the deprecation
warnings were from Python 2.6. Actually they probably come from the
Python 2.4.5 email package which would indicate that for some reason,
either the email 2.5.8 package that comes with Mailman 2.1.11 did not
get installed in Mailman's pythonlib directory or for some reason, the
paths.py module in Mailman's bin, cron and scripts directories is not
inserting the correct path to pythonlib in sys.path.

Is there a pythonlib directory in Mailman's "prefix" directory and does
it contain an 'email' subdirectory?