[Mailman-Users] How could this happen? - Post to moderated list

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Feb 21 08:00:40 CET 2009

on 2/20/09 11:48 AM, Edward Ned Harvey said:

> I noticed just now - When I look at the membership status, Joe User
> has the checkbox next to his name, under the "mod" column.  Does this
> imply that he is being forcefully moderated?

Yup.

>                                               How could that checkbox
> have gotten set?  I am the moderator, and I don't want him moderated,
> and I never set that box explicitly for him.

There is a "default moderation" check box that can be selected at the
time the list is created, or can be applied to all new subscribers after
it is selected.

For example, this option is now turned on for all new members of this
mailing list, so everyone has to go through the moderation process at
least once or twice (proving they're a real human being and also proving
that they can post relatively on-topic messages and that they're
probably not a spammer).  Once you've posted to the list a couple of
times, I usually remember to clear your moderation checkbox, and all
future posts will bypass the moderation process.

Maybe you selected this checkbox and didn't know it, or maybe you didn't
understand what it was.  Or maybe the checkbox was selected by someone
else who was involved in the list administration.

Your choices are to do as I do, by individually clearing the moderation
checkbox for those users you want to allow, or you can de-select the
checkbox that applies default moderation to all new members.  Selecting
or de-selecting that checkbox won't affect any current members, but it
will affect new subscribers after that change is made.

Another option that's available is to use "emergency moderation" for all
posts to the list, which forces everyone to always go through the
moderation process for each and every post.  This is usually only used
in dire circumstances, such as when some sort of mail loop has managed
to get past the extensive defenses that Mailman has, or there is a
massive flame war, etc....

> Obviously I got past the problem this time by simply accepting his
> message.  But I'd like to know what caused it so I can avoid future
> issues.

Most likely the default moderation issue.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out