[Mailman-Users] How to config sendmail on FC5

Hank van Cleef vancleef at lostwells.net
Mon Feb 16 16:28:21 CET 2009

The esteemed Daniel.Li has said:

> Well, actually, I mean how to configure mailman to send mails by
> sendmail.
> And my sendmail works find.

I run Mailman on Solaris 10 with sendmail 8.13.4, so will comment as a
Mailman-sendmail admin.

The setup is quite simple.  Make sure that your sendmail will work
properly with a simple MUA (such as elm or mutt) installed on the same
box as Mailman.

The one major difference between a simple MUA and Mailman is the need
to set up the aliases to pipe incoming mail to Mailman.  These look
like:

mailman:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:         "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

I believe Mark has already covered this.  You'll need a set of these
for each list you create.

If you running your Mailman as a virtual host for another domain,
you'll need to add that domain name into local-host-names.

Also set up sendmail to masquerade sender headers properly.  The only
lines in my sendmail .mc files to handle Mailman for a virtual host
are:

MASQUERADE_AS(`mainname.net')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`limited_masquerade')dnl
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`mainname.net virtualname.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`mainname.net')dnl

If you want to use smrsh (recommended), follow the instructions in the
Mailman installation guide.  You'll have to enable smrsh in sendmail
with a line in main.mc.

FEATURE(smrsh, /usr/lib/smrsh)dnl

Except for the need for the alias pipes, Mailman looks like "just
another MUA" to sendmail.  I've included the above sendmail items for
your convenience, but all of them are covered in the sendmail
documentation and/or the O'Reilly "Sendmail" book, often called the
"Bat Book."

I'll reiterate that, for the most part, if your sendmail installation
works properly with a simple user MUA installed on the same machine,
Mailman should work properly.  Use the simple MUA to debug any
sendmail problems.

Hank