[Mailman-Users] Auto-response for moderated new subscribes?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 9 22:03:44 CET 2009

Cyndi Norwitz wrote:

>I looked through the list admin commands.  The General page has a
>place for an auto-reply to new subscribers (appended to the regular
>welcome) but nothing for those who are pending.  Then there is the
>Auto-Reply page which has places for auto-responses to anyone mailing
>to -owner or -request.
>
>Using a less busy list with moderated subscriptions, I edited those 2
>sections to send an auto-response (different wording so I could tell
>them apart), saved the page, then I subscribed myself at a previous
>unused address.  I got the moderator request immediately at my
>regular address but have not received an auto-response at the new
>address.  It's been over half an hour.
>
>Am I missing something or does this feature not exist?

How did you request subscription? If you requested via the web, the
autoresponder doesn't apply. Also, you will get at most 1 autoresponse
from -request within autoresponse_graceperiod, so if you got one to
this address while testing, you won't get another until the original
graceperiod expires or you set autoresponse_graceperiod to 0.

In short, you can set autorespond_requests to respond once per
graceperiod to the sender of a messsage to the -request (or -subscribe
or -join) address (which may or may not be a subscribe request), but
you can't set a message to be sent to anyone requesting a subscription.